Our network

Family remembers fallen DeKalb Police Officer | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Family remembers fallen DeKalb Police Officer

STOCKBRIDGE, Ga. -- The man charged in connection with a Dekalb County Police Officer's death is scheduled to appear in court Monday morning.

Gregory Lee Harvey Jr. faces several felony charges, including murder.

Driving through the quiet subdivision in north Henry County, it wasn't difficult to find the home of fallen Officer Ivorie Klusmann's family.

EXTENDED VIDEO | Officer Klusmann's family talks about their hero

The street in front of the house was lined with cars -- family and friends coming to pay their respects and support the family. Among the parked cars guarding the front door sat a DeKalb County Police car.

That car, or one like it, has been a permanent fixture at the home since early Saturday morning, when Chief Cedric Alexander arrived to break the heartbreaking news: Officer Klusmann was dead, killed when the police car he was driving ran off DeKalb Medical Parkway and slammed into a tree.

RELATED: DeKalb Police Officer killed in overnight crash
PHOTOS: DeKalb Officer killed in car accident

It only took Dianna Blue a few minutes to realize why she'd been awakened in the middle of the night.

"You see blue, white lights taking up the street. You have two sons on the police force," Blue said. "My husband said 'have a seat.' And when he said [that], the first thing I said - which one?"

Surprisingly, Blue said she never worried about her two police officer sons. 

"I tell my sons every day when they leave out for work, I tell them I love them and always tell them to be safe," she said.

It was a new message for Klusmann. The 31-year-old officer had just graduated from the police academy in April. He joined his brother, three-year veteran Elisha Blue, on the DeKalb Police Force.

"I was extremely proud of him," his brother said. "He had always heard about the stories I'd told him, the things that you see at work. And he wanted to be part of that."

DeKalb Police still don't know what caused the officer's car to run off the road early Saturday morning. 

Chief Alexander said Klusmann had pulled Harvey over and had taken his information when the driver sped off. Klusmann began to chase him, but was told to stop per department policy. When he heard a radio call that another officer had stopped the same driver, Klusmann began to head in that direction. 

He never arrived; his car slammed into a tree. Klusmann was killed at the scene.

Dianna Blue said as a mother, she has one message for the driver:

"If you would've never took off, my baby would be coming through the front door every day," she said.

To his family, Klusmann's legacy will be his two young boys: Iverson, age 6, and 5-year-old Julian.

And, of course, that smile.

"He had the most beautiful smile," his mother said through tears. "An incredible smile that just makes a person want to melt. And that will be missed."