LEBANON, Mo. -- Walmart has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from more than 3,000 of its stores nationwide after a newborn who was fed the formula died. Preliminary tests indicate the Missouri boy got a rare bacterial infection, the retailer said.
The government has not ordered a recall of the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1K7G. Manufacturer Mead Johnson Nutrition said its records showed the lot tested negative for the bacterium before it was shipped.
Walmart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said Wednesday that the company decided to pull the lot "out of an abundance of caution" while health officials investigate Sunday's death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett.
The product could go back on shelves depending on the outcome of the investigation, but customers who bought the cans have the option of returning them for a refund or exchange, Gee said.